Chemical & Mechanical Properties of Rail Steel Angles
Jersey Shore Steel Company manufactures rail steel angles rerolled from railroad rails as per ASTM specification A499-89*. Rail steel is not supplied with specific mechanical (tensile and yield) properties or chemical properties. However, the ASTM A-499 does provide the following guidelines:
Mechanical—Minimum requirements are set on tensile and yield strength.
Chemical—Chemical properties will be consistent with ASTM A1-92**.
This data is published as a guideline only and does not replace the existing standard specification.
|JSS Testing***||ASTM A499-89/Grade 50*||ASTM A 1-92**|
|Tensile||115,000 psi||80,000 psi, min.|||
|Yield||67,000 psi||50,000 psi, min.|||
*ASTM A499-89 Standard Specification, Steel Bars and Shapes, Carbon, Rolled from "T" Rails, Grade 50.
Jersey Shore Steel Company rail steel angle dimensional specifications meet or exceed commercial standards*.
**ASTM A1-92 Standard Specification for Carbon Steel "T" Rails.
***Results based on independent testing: yield and tensile averages based on 2300 test samples; chemical averages based on 355 samples of random-size rail.
Complete copies of all specifications available upon request. Information subject to change without notice; revised March 2009.
Shipments invoiced per cwt will be based on actual weights. A 1% variation between Jersey Shore Steel Company scales and consignee scales is considered permissible.
A variance of 10% is considered permissible on rail steel angle orders up to 10 tons. On quantities above 10 tons, a 5% variation is considered permissible.
Jersey Shore Steel Specifications vs. Commercial Specifications
|Jersey Shore Steel Specifications||Commercial Specifications*|
|Straightness||±1/16" on 5'||±1/4" on 5'|
*According to ASTM-A499 specification.
For more information on Jersey Shore Steel rail steel angles, e-mail us today or call 800-833-0277.
- About Us
- About Us
- Company News
- Supporting Trade Development
- Jersey Shore Steel Receives 2015 Silver Level Supplier Award
- Jersey Shore Steel once again finalist for international award
- Jack Schultz named "Top 100 People of 2014" in Central PA!
- E-power Energy-Smart Business Honor Roll
- Jersey Shore steel producer finalist for international award
- PA Steel Alliance
- Happy 75th! Jersey Shore Steel Celebrates with carnival
- Celebrating 75 Years
- Jersey Shore Steel wins Pa. environmental award
- Jersey Shore Steel a finalist for two awards
- Inaugural Global Metals Awards
- Jersey Shore Steel Wins Governor’s Award, International Recognition
- Jersey Shore Steel recognized for environmental practices
- World's greenest steel mill found in region
- Steps to Achieve a "Carbon Negative" Footprint
- Global Green Steel Strategies Conference
- JSS focuses on green manufacturing
- Jersey Shore Produces Performance-Tested, "Green" Angle Steel
- Jersey Shore Steel Offers Furniture and Mattress Retailers a Truly “Green Steel” Story
- In the news: 'Green Steel'
- Company Values
- Community Involvement
- Green Initiatives
- Our Facility
- Quality Policy
- Our Service
- Affiliated Web Sites
- Made in the USA
- Rail Steel Angle